“My approach to psychotherapy is client-centered and strength based, with an emphasis on cognitive behavioral interventions and other evidence-based practices. I view therapy as a collaborative process, working together with my clients to develop effective plans to overcome the obstacles that are getting in the way of living your life to the fullest. I believe the most important change comes from a safe and trusting relationship between therapist and client that challenges old, ineffective behavioral patterns and creates opportunity for new life possibilities.”
What Clients Say About Caitlyn
“I now realize that I have the skills to cope with stressful events. Thank you! You have changed my life.” – Female, age 35, generalized anxiety, obsessive compulsive disorder
“She was really down to earth and didn’t seem to judge me. I talked about a lot of problems and my parents and she gives me hope that I’ll be able to change.” – Female, age 17, trichotilomania
“Goal-directed. Strength-based. I feel confident that I will be able to gain control of symptoms.” – Male, age 27, health anxiety
“Leaving with coping strategies. I really appreciate them being written down too.” – Female, age 55, depression
“My therapist connected my behaviors with my fears in a way I hadn’t thought about before.” – Male, age 15, obsessive compulsive disorder
“I feel understood and love leaving with tangible goals. Thank you – I am very happy with my progress so far.” – Female, age 30, obsessive compulsive disorder, generalized anxiety
“So therapeutic! It’s work out time for the mind, like going the gym for your body.” – Female, age 42, generalized anxiety disorder
Caitlyn has been in the mental health field since 2004 and has provided counseling and therapy to adults, children, teens and families since 2005. Below are a few highlights of her background and experience.
- MS, Clinical Psychology, San Jose State University
- BS, Psychology and Child Development, California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo, Summa Cum Laude
Licenses and Credentials:
- Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist LMFT-51585
- Diplomate and Certified Cognitive Therapist by Academy of Cognitive Therapy
- Focus of graduate level training was on the incorporation of evidence-based practice into clinical work
- Schema Therapy Workshop, New Jersey Institute for Schema Therapy
- OCD Foundation’s Behavior Therapy Training Institute, 2015
- Cognitive Behavior Therapy for Anxiety Workshop, Beck Institute for Cognitive Behavior Therapy, Philadelphia, 2014
- Maternal Mental Health Professional Certificate Training Program sponsored by Postpartum Support International and 2020 Mom Project , 2014-2015
- Cognitive Behavior Therapy, CBT/DBT for Eating Disorders, Acceptance & Commitment Therapy, Behavioral Activation, Trauma-Focused Cognitive-Behavior Therapy, the Adolescent-Community Reinforcement Approach, and Motivational Interviewing
- Cognitive Behavior Therapy Center of Silicon Valley, Saratoga, CA, 2012-present: CBT Staff Therapist – Provide individual and family therapy to adults, teens, children and families with a focus on anxiety disorders, OCD and eating disorders.
- Cognitive Behavior Therapy Center of Silicon Valley, Saratoga, CA. 2014 – present: CBT Internship Manager and Supervisor – Design internship program, interview and hire interns and provide training and supervision for interns.
- Group Practice of Robert Fettgather PhD Associates, Campbell/Los Gatos, 2011-2012. Provided individual, couple, group and family therapy for adults, adolescents and children, with a focus on life coaching to men and women in their 20s.
- Private Practice of Fawn Powers PhD, Campbell, 2010-2012. Private practice internship specializing in individual counseling with children, adolescents, and young adults.
- EMQ FamliesFirst, Campbell/San Jose, 2009–2011. Clinician I in Family Therapeutic Services providing outpatient psychotherapy and case management to a caseload of 20-22 youth.
- Evergreen Elementary School District, San Jose, 2009-2010. School Counselor at Chaboya Middle School. Provided short-term individual and group counseling to high-risk youth in a middle school setting.
- EMQ FamiliesFirst, Campbell, 2008-2009. Clinical Intern in Family Therapeutic Services. Provided individual/family therapy and case management for a caseload of six youth and co-facilitated one therapy group per week.
- San Jose State Psychological Services Center, San Jose, 2008. Provided individual therapy to community members at the university’s on-campus mental health clinic.
- Family Care Network, Inc., San Luis Obispo, CA, 2005-2007. Lead In-Home Support Counselor for Crisis Stabilization Foster Care. Worked directly with children in therapeutic foster homes and trained foster parents in behavior-based interventions.
- Court Appointed Special Advocates, San Luis Obispo, CA, 2004. Undergraduate Intern. Preparation and writing of court reports, educational advocacy for foster youth, and miscellaneous administrative tasks.
Special Areas of Interest:
- Anxiety disorders and OCD in adults and teens
- Issues of adolescence and young adulthood
- Anxiety, OCD and depression during pregnancy and postpartum and helping new moms with the transition to parenthood
Additional Interest Areas:
Depression, OCD, trichotillomania, social anxiety, generalized anxiety, panic disorder, relationship difficulties, school or work problems, eating disorders
Caitlyn is a life-long resident of the South Bay Area. She lives in San Jose with her husband, baby boy and their German shepherd dog. Caitlyn is excited to be a new mom and describes it as “life changing” in a positive way. Learn more about Caitlyn and her personal journey of becoming a therapist.