“Since beginning my training in psychology, I have connected with cognitive behavioral therapy and its framework for goal setting, conceptualization and treatment. I love the idea that no matter what circumstances a person is facing, they can at least have control of their perspective. As a therapist, I believe that one of the best ways I can help my clients is by practicing the same skills that we work on in our sessions on my own, so that when I’m teaching a new technique, I can really stand behind it. My therapy style focuses on striking a balance between structured, goal-driven interventions and creating a warm, empathic environment where my clients can feel free to be themselves. I have a collaborative and client centered philosophy that involves customizing CBT by selecting the most appropriate techniques for each client’s problems and monitoring my clients’ experiences through evaluations at every session”
What Clients Say About Erica
“I felt really welcome and not judged. The environment was warm and nice” – Female age 19, depression and bulimia
“Supportive, great listener and upbeat attitude” – Male age 60, anxiety
“New approaches, eye opening, very self reflective. Really great to get to the bottom of my anxiety and negative self-talk” – Female age 24, anxiety and trichotillomania
“Erica is very supportive and it helps to be reminded of cognitive strategies I can use to change my thinking” – Female age 42, generalized anxiety
“Working on moving past anxiety and obsessive thoughts is making me a better person. I am very lucky to be able to be 100% honest with someone.” – Female age 25, obsessive compulsive disorder
“I really like that Erica picked up on a recurring problem I’ve been having and helped me to think of some new ways to work on it” – Female age 29, social anxiety
“I liked having new ways to evaluate the negative thoughts that tend to command my attention” – Male age 37, OCD
Erica has been providing counseling and therapy to adults, children, teens and families since 2007. Below are a few highlights of her background and experience.
- MA, Clinical Psychology, Pepperdine University, Irvine
- BA, Psychology and Social Behavior, University of California, Irvine, Magna Cum Laude
Licenses and Credentials:
- Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor LPCC-897
- Licensed Marriage & Family Therapist LMFT-83982
- Diplomate and Certified Cognitive Therapist by Academy of Cognitive Therapy
- Certified Practitioner of the TEAM approach to Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT)
- UC Berkeley, Anxiety and Mood Disorders Certificate Program, 2014-present
- OCD Foundation’s Behavior Therapy Training Institute, 2015
- Beck Institute for Cognitive Behavior Therapy, Cognitive Behavior Therapy for Depression and Suicidality, 2014
- David Burns’ TEAM Approach to Cognitive Behavior Therapy, 2012-2013
- Cognitive Behavior Therapy Center of Silicon Valley, CBT Staff Therapist, 2013 to present. Provide individual and family therapy to adults, teens, children and families with a focus on anxiety disorders, OCD and eating disorders. Promoted from MFT Intern.
- Foothill College Psychological Services, Los Altos Hills, MFT Intern, 2012–2013. Provide brief therapy to a population of college students diverse in age and ethnicity.
- Evergreen School District, San Jose, MFT Intern, 2011–2013. Provide brief individual therapy to adolescents in a middle school setting. Coordinate with clients’ parents, teachers, principals and physicians to enhance treatment
- Almaden Valley Counseling Service, San Jose, MFT Intern, 2011-2012. Provided therapy to adults, adolescents, children, couples and families. Gained experience in a clinic, elementary school and middle school setting. Created and co-facilitated a teen girls group focused on building self esteem. Taught a STEP parenting class centered upon school age children
- Living Success Center, Costa Mesa, MFT Trainee, 2009-2010. Provided therapy to adults, adolescents and couples in a community clinic setting.
- University of California, Irvine, Campus Counseling Center, Peer Educator, 2007-2008. Created and presented psychoeducational workshops to student groups on a variety of topics, including stress management, eating disorders, test anxiety and depression.
Special Areas of Interest:
- OCD, especially involving self-harm, violent, moral or sexuality obsessions
- Anxiety and depression in adults and teenagers
- Panic, agoraphobia, and other fears revolving around body sensations
Additional Interest Areas:
Social anxiety, health anxiety, generalized anxiety, phobias, disordered eating, self esteem issues in teenagers, hair pulling and skin picking, relationship issues
Erica was born and raised in San Jose. Erica recently got married. Erica enjoys reading, camping, TV series marathons, dance, and spending time with friends on football Sundays. Learn more about Erica and her personal journey of becoming a therapist.