“I am energized and excited about dedicating my time and efforts to a just cause. My professional experience includes individual, family and group counseling, assessment, parent training and treatment planning in a variety of settings including private practice, in-home, and a residential treatment facility for severely emotionally and behaviorally disturbed children. The therapeutic modalities I use most often are evidence-based therapies including cognitive behavior therapy (CBT), behavior therapy, solution-focused therapy and family therapy. I have worked with adults, children, teenagers and families with a variety of problems including anxiety, depression, family conflict, trauma, low self-esteem, poor body image and substance abuse.”
What Client Say About Melissa
“I feel really comfortable talking with Melissa and feel really positive about my therapist’s approach and game plan.”
“Melissa helped me to understand how worrying about uncertainty works and how to cope with it better.”
“I like how she helped me prepare for an upcoming situation by helping me normalize it. I think it will help me learn how to approach situations in the future.”
“I felt understood.”
“The best part of today’s session was discussing strategies for my health symptoms and what I have control over. I think I have some fabulous, constructive ideas for going back to work and dealing with my health.”
“Just talking with you eases my mind, and you always have great ideas.”
Melissa has been providing counseling and therapy to adults, children, teens and families since 2006. Below are a few highlights of her background and experience.
- MS, Mental Health Counseling, Florida State University
- EdS, Specialist in Education, Florida State University
- BA, Psychology, Florida State University
Licenses and Credentials:
- Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor in California, LPCC-368
- Pediatric Behavior Therapy Training Institute Certificate Program, OCD Foundation, 2016
- Cognitive Behavior Therapy for Children & Adolescents Certificate Program, Beck Institute for Cognitive Behavior Therapy, 2015
- UC Berkeley, Professional Program in Child and Adolescent Treatment (in process of completing coursework toward a certificate)
- OCD Foundation Annual Conference, 2014
- Behavior Modification: Principles and Applications; Counseling Children and Adolescents; Family Counseling; and Chemical Dependency
- Cognitive Behavior Therapy Center of Silicon Valley, San Jose, 2013-present: Provide individual and family therapy to adults, teens, children and families with a focus on anxiety and obsessive compulsive disorders.
- The Vashti Center (non-profit community mental health treatment facility), Thomasville, GA, 2007 – 2011: Provided individual, family, and group therapy and conducted comprehensive psychosocial assessments. Developed strength-based treatment plans for children and teenagers. Conducted skills building with children and adolescents with severe emotional and behavioral issues. Chair, Continuum of Care committee responsible for the evaluation of all aspects of service delivery from intake to discharge.
- Intensive Crisis Counseling Service, Tallahassee, FL, 2006 – 2011: Provided in-home services to families in crisis referred from Department of Children and Families (DCF). Services included clinical assessment, individual and family therapy, parent education, and domestic violence assessment and intervention.
- Psychological & Family Consultants, Tallahassee, FL, 2006 – 2007: Provided individual and couples counseling in an outpatient private practice setting. Administered and scored psychological assessments for children and adolescents. Administered the following psychological assessments: Wechsler Intelligence Scale for Children 4th ed.(WISC-IV), Wechsler Individual Achievement Test 2nd ed. (WIAT-II), Millon Adolescent Clinical Inventory (MACI), Millon Pre-Adolescent Clinical Inventory (M-PACI) and projective assessments.
Special Areas of Interest:
- Anxiety and Obsessive Compulsive Disorders in children and adults
- Emotional and Behavioral Problems in children
- Child Therapy, Parent Training and Family Therapy
Additional Interest Areas:
Depression, OCD, trichotillomania, social anxiety, generalized anxiety, panic disorder, children struggling with emotional and behavioral issues, assisting families seeking to improve communication and relationship quality
Melissa relocated from North Florida to the Bay Area in 2011 trading one sunny locale for another. Melissa enjoys running, hiking, strength-training, and staying active. Her hobbies include photography, digital scrapbooking, and mixed media art. Learn more about Melissa and her personal journey of becoming a therapist.