“I am passionate about delivering the best services possible, which not only includes obtaining ample training in evidence-based practices, but also ensuring a client-focused, understanding, compassionate, strengths-focused, and goal-oriented framework. With every client I encounter, I strive to help them build resilience and a wider repertoire of skills, and facilitate their ability to loosen and modify unhelpful internal processes and behaviors. Just like the CBT Center’s motto of ‘Commit. Practice. Succeed.,’ I strongly believe that all clients have the ability to strengthen helpful behaviors and modify ineffective ones to live a more meaningful and fulfilling life, free of psychological suffering.”
Saryna has been providing counseling and therapy to adults, children, teens and families since 2010. Below are a few highlights of her background and experience.
- MS, Clinical Psychology, San José State University.
- BS, Psychology and BA, Behavioral Science, San José State University. Communication Studies Minor. Graduated Suma Cum Laude.
- Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist #96193
- Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT) Boot Camps, Association of Contextual Behavioral Science, Reno, NV, 2013 and 2014. Completed two 4-day intensive training workshops in ACT led by Steven Hayes, the founder of ACT, and other expert ACT therapists.
- Trauma Focused CBT Training, Santa Clara Valley Health & Hospital System Behavioral Health Department Learning Institute, 2014.
- QPR Trainer Certificate, Santa Clara County Mental Health Department, Certification in suicide prevention based on QPR Institute guidelines, 2014.
- Child and Adolescent Needs and Strengths Assessment Certificate, EMQ Families First, Campbell, CA, 2012.
- Mental Health First Aid Certificate, San José State University Counseling Services, 2012.
- Cognitive Behavior Therapy Center of Silicon Valley, CBT Staff Therapist, Jan 2015 – present. Provide individual, family and couples therapy to adults, teens, children, families and couples with a focus on anxiety disorders and OCD as well as family and relationship dynamics. Promoted from MFT Intern.
- YWCA of Silicon Valley, San Jose, CA, Aug 2013–present. Marriage and Family Therapist Intern: Conducted psychotherapy and crisis intervention at Willow Glen High School, Lincoln High School and Burnett Middle School. Engaged in psychotherapy and clinical assessment with adults, children, and couples in the YWCA’s outpatient clinic. Facilitated a group to help middle school students build confidence, self-esteem, and coping strategies. Co-facilitated a stress management group for high school students.
- Santa Clara County Mental Health – Fair Oaks, Sunnyvale, CA. Sept 2012–Jun 2013: Clinical Trainee – Conducted psychotherapy and clinical assessment with child and adolescent clients and their families. Worked with clients who experienced ADHD symptoms, trauma histories, patterns of self-harm, history of suicidality, anxiety, depression, and significant family conflict.
- Support Network’s Domestic Violence Program, Sunnyvale, CA, May 2010–Jul 2012: Crisis Counselor – Provided crisis intervention services for adult and adolescent survivors of domestic violence. Completed Domestic Violence Prevention training to receive certification and served 600+ hours.
- Bill Wilson Center, Contact Cares Program, Santa Clara, CA, Apr 2010 – Aug 2011: Crisis Counselor – Provided crisis intervention services for adults and adolescents. Completed Crisis Prevention training to receive certification and served 150+ hours.
- San José State University Counseling Services, Aug 2010–present: Mental Health Ambassador – Fostered a supportive and informative campus culture for issues related to mental illness. Provided prevention and outreach services to increase mental health literacy and destigmatize mental health issues.
- San José State University Guardian Scholars, Aug 2011–Aug 2012: Graduate Intern – Provided case management, educational counseling, and intervention for former foster youth students experiencing personal, academic, career, or other developmental difficulties while upholding confidentiality.
Special Areas of Interest:
- Anxiety Disorders and OCD in Children, Adults and Teens
Additional Interest Areas:
Social anxiety, phobias, panic disorder, trauma-related issues, relationship difficulties, adolescent/transitional age issues, emotional and behavioral problems in children, and parent training
Saryna is a native of the South Bay. She adopted a Lutino Indian Ringneck Parakeet named Sunshine in 2012. Saryna enjoys U-jam, hiking, dance, spending time with friends and family, playing games, baking and cake decorating, going to music concerts and festivals, watching hockey, watching movies, and reading.